Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Their Eyes Were Watching God- Journal #8

1) I think that Hurston chose this title to foreshadow the importance of Religion in the book along with giving the reader some idea of her own views towards religion. When she says that their eyes were watching god, it suggests that they are looking up to God either for advice or for hope. This title makes it seem like God is considered to have power over these people. This can influence the way you read the novel by making the reader pay more attention to the use of religion throughout the book and the literary elements that relate to religion throughout the book.
2) A different title for this book might be, "The Nature of God." I feel that this title still looks at the importance of religion through out the novel, but it adds a secondary focus of nature throughout the novel. It also shows god's control of nature which becomes evident through the scene with the hurricane.
3) The title of my pastiche is "Clear Mind, Clear Heart." I chose this title because it represents the significance of having a clear mind and being confident which my main character struggles with throughout the story. I used the symbol of fog to show when my character has no confidence which illuminiates the clear mind portion of the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment